This breakfast burrito has plant-based ground meat and a grain-free tortilla wrap.
When you need comfort food in the morning, nothing beats a hearty breakfast burrito—whether you’ve had a rough night or need an extra energy boost from a hearty breakfast. So we created this plant-based burrito that is low in fat and sodium to give it an extra nutritional boost. Instead of real meat, this healthier burrito uses a ground plant-based faux meat mix, black beans, eggs, and a cassava flour tortilla.
Siete Foods is a great place to start if you want gluten-free or grain-free tortillas. With various flavors, you’re sure to find the texture you prefer. The plant-based ground ‘meat’ we used is from Lightlife, boasting 20 grams of protein per serving with only a handful of ingredients.
To prep, wrap each burrito in aluminum foil and freeze in a single layer, then seal it in an airtight container. Remove the foil, cover with a damp paper towel, and reheat in the microwave until thoroughly heated.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 packet hot taco seasoning blend (or make your own seasoning)
- One 12-oz container Lightlife Plant-Based Ground
- Cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- One 15 1/2-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 Siete Cassava Flour Wraps
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make It
- Canola oil should be heated in a skillet of medium size, and onion and bell pepper should be sautéed over medium-high heat. They were cooked with occasional stirring for around three minutes until the onions were transparent and the bell pepper was tender. Mix well after adding the taco seasoning. After adding the Lightlife ground to the pan, press it down into a single layer with a spoon and then chop it into small pieces. Sauté for five to seven minutes, stirring once or twice, until the food is thoroughly browned.
- Scramble the eggs by adding cooking spray to a separate, smaller pan, placing it over medium heat, and whisking the eggs as you do so. Then, take the pan off the heat.
- Give the cassava wraps just a few seconds to heat up on the stovetop. To make the tortilla, begin by layering the cheese, scrambled eggs, black beans, and Lightlife ground. Add some spicy sauce and fresh cilantro before serving. Serve immediately or wrap and freeze for later.